FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA MileSAAver award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:45 pm
burnthebarn

Originally Posted by Ross0
Re QF to OZ: December is even more difficult given the time of year, but certainly not impossible. The key is persistence and flexibility. These long-haul awards are really where I think EXP shines since EXPs have the ability to grab award tickets as they pop up and then refine as necessary when things change. I think getting an EF sub is a no brainer and couldn't even fathom trying to get 2 R/T tix to OZ/NZ without it. I'd keep watching QF space (as others have said, keep an eye on BNE as that tends to be a bit easier than SYD/MEL). FWIW, I actually think QF's DFW flight is the easiest to get P or U space and I tend to see that more frequently than I see LAX-SYD/MEL. And, of course, your U/T space from WAS to DFW will be easier than to LAX (U is very rare on the DCA-LAX flight. It pops up occasionally on the IAD flights, but it's typical 1 U and 1 T seat far out. If you don't mind burning the day in LA on the return, the LAX-IAD redeye is usually the flight with best availability).

80k exists.

IME QF will randomly open up fairly decent award space a few times per year. It tends to be completely random, but one day, I'll notice there is decent space. It usually lasts a few days and then dries up. (In fact, last Tues or Wed this happened and there was lots of P and U space for next spring. Lots has tried up, but still decent space there). When that happens, keep an eye on the mid-week flights and make sure you're looking for both P and U. I often will see 1 P and 1 U seat on the same flight, which is great. If that happens, take them.
Thanks for the thorough response. Even with the EF sub are you still checking QF/FJ daily weekly?

The upside is that we should be pretty flexible with our schedules, just want a decently long trip sometime in December that hits both NZ plus Fiji