FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:07 pm
UAL250

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
For Europe, I usually have good luck upgrading on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. When I book my tickets, I never find R space but always end up clearing on the ORD-MUC and MUC-ORD. Sometimes, the R space opens 2 months before my flight, sometimes 1 month before, sometimes 4 days before, sometimes at check-in and sometimes when I'm already sitting in the plane.

I know another FTer who always seems to have good luck with the upgrade clearing on routes to LHR.

The problem is if you wait for R to open to purchase your ticket, you might miss it when you plan to fly in the next two months.
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't really follow the Europe flights. From SFO it's mostly pointless. If they open R, it's random and unpredictable. I just look for discount J fares for Europe.
Originally Posted by findark
Huh, the one (and only, I admit) time I checked on NRT-HNL, it was over by at least 30 in the back and nearly into double op-up territory (fewer paid J than blocked F from the Y oversale). ymmv, I guess

Tuesday or Wednesday, via ORD or IAD (in that order). September is a very tough month because it's when everyone gets back to work after the holiday period; if you can stretch into the second half of October you will get much better odds (but a colder, dimmer Europe).
Thank you all. I was able to find R space actually from IAD to a couple of places. Will share details after I book tonight (yes, I am that paranoid).