FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket)
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:50 pm
garykung
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by omaralt
am i the only one here who thinks UA is in the wrong? i mean, yes we all know what a BE entails, but most people dont. when they buy a ticket on a legacy carrier they assume they can select seats; or at the minimum be able to be seated together.
This logic is completely problematic. As others point out, Expedia has made it clear about BE, as well as UA, so the purported assumption does not even exist.

Originally Posted by omaralt
United is at fault here. they should automatically not allow you to buy BE seats when traveling with minors, or at least force you to pay for seat selection. otherwise they are saying it's acceptable for a 2 year old to be seated alone?? in what world does that make sense?
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
In a better world, United wouldn't sell BE to people with kids under some specific age (that would undoubtedly piss off some people because that age would be wrong for some family's situation and kid).
This actually makes it worse.

Even the existing federal does not prohibit, what you are suggesting is the textbook definition of age discrimination.

I concede it does not make sense. However - don't forget a minor does not have the ability to even purchase a ticket. So shouldn't parents be more responsible in this case?

can you imagine the lawsuit if something happened to that child during the flight?
The parent get charged? FWIW - You can throw UA under the bus anytime you want. The reality remains simple - the parent bought the wrong kind of tickets and failed to pay attention. So blaming UA isn't really the answer here.

common sense needs to prevail here;
Another contradicting logic - we are not living in a world of common sense. In fact - when you mention "lawsuit", it is a straightly black-and-white situation - UA does not force the parent to buy BE. Instead, the parent bought the wrong kind of tickets and failed to pay attention. UA simply fulfilled its obligation for the tickets.

UA (and all other airlines) need to ensure that a minor does not sit alone; whether it means forcing you into a higher fare or allowing free seat selection
There is something known as UM - minor sitting alone is simply unavoidable.

Originally Posted by azepine00
I am embarrassed to read the replies here. People seem to sincerely believe that a kid sitting with mother is a luxury and mother needs to pay extra for it...
You can be embarrassed as much as you want. The problem remains simple - 1) UA does not force the parent to buy BE. The parent did it herself. 2) UA simply fulfilled its obligation for the tickets.

I would be embarrassed as well if the parent bought a regular ticket and was forced to spit with the children. But simply this is not the case.

All alone this was a voluntary action by the parent.