FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Splitting up Families (Basic Economy ticket)
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:25 am
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by arttravel
Do I like what air travel has become in the US? No not at all.
I would never book on Spirit or Allegiant, but those are fairly profitable airlines and that business model is spreading like black mold.
I've had two friends fly Spirit in the past year or so. Both had total disaster experiences, including one "I slept on the floor at LAS." Of course they railed on and on about how terrible the airline was. I just kept my mouth shut. Because seriously, how hard is it figure out in advance that not only does Spirit totally suck, but it's not such a great deal when you calculate the all-in pricing. Do you not have an internet connection and ability to type "spirit airline reviews" in Google? Same concept holds with Googling "united basic economy family seating." Here's what you get (#1 result):

Q: If I'm traveling with my family, can we sit together if I purchase Basic Economy tickets?
A:
With Basic Economy, if you do not purchase advance seat assignments, we’re not able to guarantee that your family will be able to sit together. If it’s important for your family to sit together, please consider purchasing advance seat assignments, if available, or selecting another fare.