FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury Tour of India: Thoughts on these hotels?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 8:12 pm
chinmoylad
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Could use a bit of help in choosing between two Delhi hotels. Have booked both, but reservations are cancelable. Both rates include airport transfers, club access, and breakfast. The room rates are pretty much the same, only $20 a night difference between them.

1. Oberoi --- Premier Plus room, 550 sqft, booked through Amex FHR, also get one included dinner

2. Leela Palace -- Royal Club Parlor room, 700 sqft, booked through "Discovery" to get a discount, includes butler service.

I'm leaning towards the Leela Palace. Please speak up if you have stayed at both or even either!

Thanks
Been to both, stayed at Oberoi.

Leela - the rooms are certainly nice but the whole place has a very 'faux' air about it (better done than most places I've seen, but still). Rooftop pool is nice but questions over how much you'd really use it at all in Delhi. The Japanese restaurant I ate at was extremely good value. Service was slow the short time I was at the hotel (getting someone to attend to me for what I needed etc).

Oberoi is a classic, but it also draws in a crowd because it's a 'place to be seen' (think Peninsula Hong Kong - not quite as bad though). I stayed here pre-renovation, and even then, it was superb. Sure the hard product was dated, but it was kept in excellent condition. Exciting to see what they've done with the refresh. Food is good throughout. Service was spot on. Really impressive considering the size of the hotel, the constant in- and out- of random strangers etc.

I would much prefer to stay at Oberoi than the Leela.