FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:01 pm
StuckinITH

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Mason22222
Anyone care to speculate on the odds of these upgrades? Using GPUs for me (1K) and my girlfriend (Platinum), booked on separate reservations for the flights below. I'm particularly worried that I might clear the upgrade and she will not.

Friday, Sept 7. UA926 SFO>FRA. W-fare. Flight status shows 41/48 booked.
J7 JN7 C6 D6 Z1 ZN1 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W7 S6 T4 L1 K0 G0 N9 XN0 X0

Sunday, Sept 16. UA975 GVA>IAD. W-fare. Flight status shows 22/30 booked.
J7 JN7 C7 D7 Z2 ZN2 P0 PN0 R0 RN0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G0 N9 XN9 X3

Seems like SFO-FRA on a Friday is tough, but would like your thoughts. Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk and especially the United threads!

Weekend travel is always more difficult for upgrades to clear and there's still plenty of time for people to purchase business class tickets. At this point, I would make sure that you both have seats that you are comfortable flying in. For sure, it would not be good if you chose seats together and your girlfriend is the one having a middle seat as that would not be comfortable at all if you get upgraded and she does not. I would choose two aisles (at least that is what my wife (Platinum) and I do. Another thing to start thinking about now: if only you get upgraded, will you give your seat to your girlfriend?

Anyways, at this point there's no way to know how many passengers are waitlisted for the upgrades (GS and higher fares). And with those numbers you will have to worry about passengers being offered TODs and taking them at check-in.

Last edited by StuckinITH; Aug 27, 2018 at 7:06 pm