FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta flying to OGG with the hurricane
View Single Post
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:00 am
defrosted

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
The fanboys are in full force today. Saying that Delta has superior weather forecasts than any other airline is absolutely laughable. The other airlines simply act more responsibly. The weather can change very quickly and they would rather not put their planes and crews in danger.
It is not laughable to suggest that one company may be better at something than another. Seriously, local TV channels are always running ads touting superior weather predictions, "turn to us in a storm" et al., although it does come down to weather predictions, and we all laugh at the historical inaccuracy of the "weatherman" it doesn't exclude the possibility of a company being better than an other.

I understand Delta fanboys may be biased, but the premise is certainly not laughable.

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

There was ~24 hours difference in the decisions. In the end, Delta may have made the same decision. They were just willing to take more time to let it all play out. Not sure how that is debatable or related to safety, that’s simply what happened.
+1
I would add, I am glad they do this. I have been in situations it made no difference it was a forgone conclusion, but times a break in the weather opens and it saves the day.

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
Thankfully, dispatchers release flights according to what's in the TAF, and don't just shut down a whole airline operation because Jim Cantore is on the scene on Waikiki Beach.
lol
*gasp* the news is reporting and it is blown out of proportion? Pun intended. No disrespect to what is happening in Hawaii intended.