FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (from Oct. 2018)
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:04 pm
ijgordon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Probably jumping in late, but thought I’d give some perspective on the Ritz. Unfortunately I’ve never stayed at the StR (and frankly don’t get the fuss about the King Cole Bar...I think the Ritz bar/lounge area is just as lovely).

Anyway, stayed twice at the Ritz on points both times, but I guess the catch is the first time was for my wedding and the second time for my anniversary one year later.

We were treated exceptionally well. As Marriott Gold, booking in the lowest category (room facing the back street I believe), you can get a space-available upgrade to a room facing 6th Ave, which should have partial park views. For the wedding weekend I wanted something more special and we paid $100/night to guarantee the upgrade to a park view room, facing the park (unforunately it was on the 3rd floor so not all that much of a view...). For the anniversary weekend (one night) the website was (oddly) only offering the base level room plus Club access (for $200). Figured what the heck. We ended up getting upgraded to a park view room, this time on the 10th floor. And they had a framed picture of us in the room along with our wedding song playing on the stereo when we got to the room. ^ (Which was unexpected, almost more so than the various decorations the year before for our actual wedding stay).

As far as the rooms - yes, they’re being upgraded. I would say the decor is a bit dated but everything was in totally fine condition, and as someone posted, the room was a very good size, especially for New York. And great water pressure in the shower!

As for the Club lounge - that was a fantastic experience. I don’t think it’s necessarily worth the money if you’re going to be out and about, but our anniversary stay was effectively a “staycation” and we only left the hotel briefly Saturday night for dinner out. So we spent plenty of time in the lounge, including every food setup (b’fast, lunch, tea, cocktail hour, dessert), including the Saturday night caviar special. And we arranged for the chefs demonstration, which was great and got us lots of additional tasty treats.

Anyway, the St. Regis may be a step above, but I definitely have a soft spot for the RC!