FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Anyone Remember Neighborhood Inn/Summerfield Suites by Wyndham
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:02 pm
purplenightskylovertv
formerly Will Stonehocker

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Back in the early/mid 90s I used to travel to Reston VA a lot and there was a Summerfield Suites I would stay at. But I always thought of Summerfield Suites as the same thing as Marriott's Residence Inns (which I think started back in the 70s.) So while I've never really checked, I always thought that Summerfields were a copy of Residence Inns. But I may well be wrong on that.
well, you are right that residence inn and summerfield suites are two different brands. both are the children of jack deboer, but their age gap is big. residence inns were known for their penthouse suite, which died due to changing standards. summerfield suites had the main building be two stories tall with rooms on the second floor and various two/three-story exterior corridor buildings. summerfield was bought by wyndham in 1998, then it was given to hyatt around the mid-2000's, only to be renamed hyatt house around early 2012 (my dad and i knew it).

residence inn has been owned by marriott since 1987, and they've taken great care of them since. someone did mention on this thread that the two-bedroom two-bathroom suite is nothing new.