FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hans does stupid Routings: Japan with some Detours
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:06 am
The_Mileonaire

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, *A Gold, Sixt Platinum, Etihad Gold
Tuesday, 22.5.2018 & Wednesday, 23.5.2018

The big one was already waiting for me at the gate:

Priority boarding was super efficient (as always with SQ) and I could finally board my beautiful seat 14A:

I know that nearly everyone in here knows the Singapore Business Class, but for me it was the first time on SQ. And wow – these seats are WIDE.

The load factor was pretty low, so I could take a few photos without annoying others. I still like the cabin, way less bling-bling compared to other carriers – a nice change after my Emirates flights last month.

Headphones were waiting for me at the seat (with a bonus grumpy Hans mirrored in the TV screen)…

…as well as socks and slippers…

…and the menu for the upcoming flight:

After a first glass of champagne (Charles Heidsieck) we were blasting off to Singapore (and another grumpy Hans in the TV screen)!

As soon as we hit our cruising altitude, the wonderful lunch service began – of course with the infamous satay skewers:

Followed by a really good appetizer with serrano ham and honey/goat cheese mousse:

I then had the seafood noodles as my main (simple but good)…

…and the lime cheesecake as dessert…

...plus a small cheese plate:

Afterwards I converted my seat into a bed, I’m really not used to getting up at 4AM. The old SQ seat is still a bit weird as you basically sleep diagonally on top of your back rest. Sounds weird, feels a bit odd but I still was able to get some solid hours of sleep. Once I got up again I watched the newest Star Wars movie (Last Jedi) and immediately regretted it. I really dislike what Disney is doing to that franchise, to put it mildly.

At least the breakfast service made up for it with a croissant, fresh fruit and some nice noodles:

After a long flight the lights in the Strait of Malacca were getting closer on the horizon…

…and a wonderful flight in SQ’s C came to its conclusion. Sorry again if you’re bored at this point if you’ve already seen so many photos of the Singapore Business Class.

At Changi Airport I had to get my luggage first, go through immigration, check in at Malaysia Airlines and go through Security again. I just booked a quick connection to Kuala Lumpur with MH’s 737 as I can’t be bothered to spend more for such a short hop. I killed some time in the SATS Premier Lounge first that I already knew from my Etihad flight last year:

The lounge is OK, but nothing super special. This beautiful 737 brought me to KUL that day:

The short hop to Kuala Lumpur was as uneventful as it could be, but at least I had Priority Boarding thanks to my old Iberia Gold status. After 5 years I was finally back in Malaysia!

I grabbed some cash at the airport and took a cab to my hotel downtown. I decided to go for the Shangri-La as it had some great rates during that time (115€ incl. breakfast). As a sign of welcoming me, it rained like piss in Kuala Lumpur:

Despite some roads that looked rather like rivers we made it to the Shangri-La in 40 minutes, and I checked in at the beautiful lobby. I got a room looking towards the street:

As it was still raining I grabbed some snacks from the 7/11 across the street (why don’t we have these in Germay?!) and napped for a bit. Luckily the rain stopped in the evening, and I could at least take some photos to close out the day (photography at night is always better). The Petronas Towers are just a 10-minute walk from the Shangri-La, so I just got there to take some shots.

I had my new ultrawide-angle lens with me, so I couldn’t even be bothered by all the crowds. With a lens like that, you just stand a few feet in front of the building and get everything on your photo anyway (real life hack right there).

I crossed through the mall to see the towers from the other side, with quite a good perspective as well:

At this point I was really tired, carrying around my camera backpack is quite strenuous. I walked back to the mall as I wanted to get some food, and also check out if the same food stall is still there where I ate 5 years ago. And tadaaa - it was still there and the hot clay pot tasted exactly as good as back then!

I was still hungry, so I had another small udon soup with tonkatsu:

Afterwards I went back to the hotel and slept for 10 hours straight