FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeroplan's Best Kept Secret: award flights into Iqaluit
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:16 am
canadiancow
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YYT82

What he was talking about isn't the same as the mini-RTW. 5T/7F/MO are three airlines you can redeem your AE points on, but you can never find them using AE's search engine because the process is different. I gather that you've never redeemed on these airlines so let me describe it to you:

You call up Aeroplan, you tell the agent you want to book reward seat(s) on 5T/7F/MO on certain date range between certain city pairs. They note them down and call the airline on your behalf and request seats. The agent then calls you back advising you of options and availability. If you don't like the availability offered, repeat with a different date range.

It's been a while since I redeemed on these airlines, so perhaps the request process is now more electronic between AE and 5T/7F, and MO is no longer an AE partner. However, when I booked with them, there was no booking fee.

I know the process, and I was responding to a very specific comment ("the policy used to be that the Aeroplan booking fee was only charged if you used the call centre to book something you could have booked online") which is factually wrong.

Had the comment just been "the policy used to be that the Aeroplan booking fee was not charged for 5T", I would not have said anything.