FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Densified 777 10 abreast: Reviews and Experiences
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:56 pm
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by TambaTrio
I measured myself earlier and I am 18inches across. I'm 175cm tall and about 90kg, so very much on the chubby side, but still found it very comfortable. Just to give you an idea!
I'm not very fit either. But I don't think my BMI matters as my oversized stomach is merely a lap problem, not overflowing over into the armrests. We have similar BMIs.

It's my shoulder width. I was put through a lot of swimming as it was the only sport I did consistently with interest as a child. So I ended up with very broad shoulders for my height.

---

Further discrimination on personal charecteristics (fat, tall, wide) also factors in my view of your praise of the hard shell Economy seat.

Another characteristic I am starting to have a bad back - I prefer reclining seats over sliding seat designs (this also applies to my dislike to regional business seats which I fly on redeye routes on public holidays).

I believe this is up to debate but I believe I am not alone - I believe it is fair to say half the people (including you) really like the hard shell seat and half (inclduing me) hate it equally as much.

But when market conditions dictate we have to share the same product, is is fairest on passengers to chose a product that elicits the least controversy. Hard shell certainly elicits more controversy than reclining, and is less desirable from a mass market passenger POV.

---

The latter only affects CX P&L if passengers buy in their differented product (they didn't, as evidenced by they didn't continue it).

The former directly improves CX P&L if the 11% seat count gain is not offset by >11% fare decrease to fill seats (I think this will generally be true, unfortunately. Especially since we've few alternatives on peak days, and it does not make such a big impact on other days)

Last edited by percysmith; Aug 23, 2018 at 9:08 pm