FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:48 am
jjmoore

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Kacee
I suspect the J bookings are declining because of the typhoons currently hitting Japan. J now down to 31/40.
@Kacee .. can you post the link to check the status of a future flight (that is more than 2 days away)? That would be a good way to check to see if Y is showing full.

Based on inventory in J, I would fully expect they will overbook Y... they would rather sell a Y seat and bump someone into J from Y than to not sell the seat at all by zeroing out Y. They will likely continue to sell J at full price, and UA wouldn't think twice about having to bump someone off the flight to accommodate a full fare J ticket. It's all a statistical model to UA (as you know well, Kacee) to maximize revenue.

Blocked seats are often nice for those of us lowly 1K category that want to use GPU's ... the blocked seats mean UA is taking them out of inventory, and on the DoD, they will upgrade people into those seats at the gate. It's a blessing in disguise for people like me.