FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's up with LY's fare volatility?
View Single Post
Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:49 pm
themicah

What's up with LY's fare volatility?

My fiance is studying in Jerusalem for the year. I'm keeping an eye on the TLV-NYC fares to bring her home for her winter break (perhaps a bit obsessively), and spotted a student fare for $679+ ($756 all-in) r/t on www.elal.co.il a week or so ago. I checked with my fiance that night. She approved, but when I looked the next day (to buy it) it was gone.

Suddenly the cheapest fare was $2400+. I called LY's NYC office, and they were puzzled as well, since they knew a $1500+ fare to exist (which I could find on travelocity and beta.itasoftware.com) but couldn't access it. They could see that there had been a $679+ student fare, too, but couldn't access that either (just the $2400+ I was seeing). They surmised that maybe the programmers were updating the fares, so I figured I'd wait and hope $679+ came back.

A couple days later a few more fares showed up, with the cheapest back at $1500+, and it stayed that way for a few more days.

Now tonight it's suddenly showing availability from $879+ with nonavailable fares starting at $729--student or not. Earlier today it was still showing the $1500+ fare.

I know most airlines constantly update their fares and all, but this seems a bit ridiculous. I still have plenty of time, obviously, but I'd love to get that $679+ fare for the ideal dates/flights and not have to worry that my backups (LX, BA, and maybe TK) will raise their prices, too.

Any thoughts?