Old Aug 20, 18, 2:18 am
josep

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
I used to have an ambassador in the old SPG times, a couple of years ago, and I found it very very useful: since I had had the same ambassador for several years, she knew all my travel preferences, the kind of room I liked, etc. She would call in advance to the hotels to make sure all my preferences were taken into account, and often times, she would manage to get me upgrades confirmed ahead of arrival.
Also, when I had an issue with the hotel, i would often drop an email/call to my ambassador that would deal with the hotel and try to solve it (eg. I remember once having a noisy room, asking for a change and the hotel would say they did not have any rooms. The ambassador would then talk to them and magically things would happen. Or another time, I was double charged for a room. My ambassador would follow-up for me until it was solved).

I had experience with two ambassadors, as the first one left SPG after some time. The second one was not as good, and I could clearly see he was much less effective than the first ambassador.

Overall, I found it quite useful, mostly as a way to save time and save me trouble, as I did not have to deal with issues directly. But also, I guess it is down to the particular person assigned as ambassador: some might be great, some might be average.