FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passengers and security. Not always the best combination
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:47 pm
South London Bon Viveur

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Totally agree with the comments about how annoying it is when passengers hold you up in security by taking forever to remove items from bags, taking belts off etc. Also some seemingly like having lengthy chats with staff whilst everyone else behind has to wait for them to finish their chat. However in fairness, I can't say I have never been caught out. I did recently transiting in HEL and not realising I had another security check having arrived from SVO and flying on a connecting service to LHR. Suddenly I found myself at a scanner/ conveyor belt completely unprepared and became that exact person that so frequently irritates me- mea culpa.

Next time you are behind someone infuriatingly slow also bear in mind something that has taken me a while to get used to as well, namely the fact that procedures in airports vary and what might be obvious to you from your travel patterns might genuinely surprise someone that is used to other airports/ countries. For example whilst we are all familiar with the see through plastic bag routine, my understanding is that the rules are more relaxed in ther countries, which might lead to some people falling foul of the rules here.

My overarching rule is that I always behave at security as if I was a private in the army. In other words follow instructions to the letter without question and do not give off any visible sign of irritation even if seething on the inside.