FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JNB / Johannesburg Airport - Connections, Facilities, Layovers, etc.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:38 am
skywardhunter

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by CMH_flyer_470
Inbound: JFK - JNB Arrives 8:05
Connection: JNB - CPT Departs 18:00

This is an award ticket booked with UA miles all in J on SAA in early September. The problem I have is we don’t need/want such a long layover. Unfortunately, the flight to CPT at 18:00 was the only one available with miles when we booked. We will have at least one checked bag. The possible solutions I see are:
  • Wait for award space on an earlier SAA flight to open, but I would be subject to a $125 per ticket change fee.
  • Buy a separate ticket for an earlier flight on either Mango, Safair or BA/Comair for $80-$100 per ticket. Even if our bags are tagged all the way to CPT, we will be able to collect them at customs and re-check on the new flight.
  • Get to JNB and see if SAA would be willing to put us on an earlier flight for free, even though our flights were not booked with SAA.

What do you guys think is the best option? Do you think SAA would change us to an earlier flight, even though we are not on their ticket stock? Of the other airline choices, which is best/most reliable?
Aren't awards issued on the operating carrier's stock? At least they should be on SA codes. Generally SA is very flexible (or used to be, not sure of current status) on JNB-CPT and I've many times switched to earlier and later flights (due to missed connections) and it's never been an issue. Just ask when you arrive at the transfer desk just after customs. At that point they won't care who sold you the ticket as it'll be fully in their control