FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sorry GGL on a Full-Flex J Ticket - Your Delay is Under 5 Hours We Wouldn’t Help You
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:20 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by sts603
The entire US - at least amongst the big three - operates this way. If a flight is delayed beyond a token amount, the airline will accommodate any reasonable request regardless of fare rules/inventory etc. if seats aren’t available then there is a very organized standby system. […]

My expectations aren’t for an override of the fare rules, just for common customer service to allow me to get to my destination at a more preferable time due to a delay. Requests that are easily accommodated on other airlines regardless of status. As I said, I have low expectations of BA and England in general. But call me a fool that I didn’t think it was this bad...
I think the difference actually isn't the one that you think. Most European airlines, BA included, will also accommodate that, but that discretion is typically reserved to the airport while call centres only deal with changes in schedules and less so with changes on the day. By contrast, the US big 3 have mostly removed non-operational staff from airports, and as a result, what used to be dealt with by airport staff there too has now been mostly transferred to call centres, alongside the discretion that comes with it. In a funny way, it also means that in case of irrops in many airports, it is not unusual for - say - AA agents to tell you that you need to call the call centre, or even them calling them for you as they do not have the same discretion themselves.

I realise you may prefer the US system (I do too actually, as someone with access to an efficient phone line) but the difference is not about who is more flexible here, more about who within the airline system is allowed to make use of that flexibility.