FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:04 pm
rny321

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Old Cat 1-5, Cat 7 and Tier1-3 are worth the same as before this year and more if redeemed during peak periods next year. Only the old Cat 9 is being replaced with the better option of a new Cat 6.

Unless redeemed during peak periods starting next year, 3 of the 7 existing categories are losing value. The old Category 6 is only worth 30K if the replacement Cat 4 is redeemed during peak periods. The old Cat 8 is only worth 40K if the new Cat 5 is redeemed during peak periods. Finally, the old Tier 4-5 package is only worth 70K if the new Cat 7 is redeemed during peak periods.

If we are able to use the equivalent points value in a higher category, then the overall value of the changes improves. If either the ability to change categories or extend certificates goes away, the changes will be worse. Although I wanted to point out why I think the changes are a net negative, I am not questioning MPG's ability to make changes or blaming others for a choices I made. I ended up with one gain and one loss in the translation.

Last edited by rny321; Aug 18, 2018 at 2:30 pm