FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:22 am
RedSun
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I spent most of my SPG points on Starwood hotels, but if I were to transfer 60K points to AA and end up with 75K miles, I can book a one way biz award ticket on CX that may run $4,000-5,000 (say NYC to HKG). There is just no way one is going to get $4K+ of value from 60K Starpoints.

So it's incorrect to make a blanket statement that "the best value of the SPG points are hotel redemption"
As I said several times, your airline redemption has nothing to do with SPG card point transfer. If I get 75k AA miles sitting my in my AA account, I get the same redemption. The AA miles can be from SPG card or can be from Citi or Barclay AA CCs, even OneWorld Alliance partners. Maybe I can even buy the AA miles and get 6.7 cents/mile redemption you got.

The last, those first class or business airfares are way over-priced. You always get high redemption rate due to the pricing. Who will want to spend $5,000 per person on air tickets from own pocket to take family to Hawaii? So do not believe those online blogs promoting high redemption on first and business class airfares. If you spend that much $$ on some air tickets, they better be from oneone's else wallet. Of course you want treat you and family if you like and enjoy.

Last edited by RedSun; Aug 18, 2018 at 7:29 am