FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:48 pm
qofmiwok

What was great before was the card was good for general spend. Many of these categories you mentioned I already get 5x UR points on from Chase. The only value to me is for gas, and I spend almost nothing on gas.

The points only had value to me as airline miles because I use them for international business class at at least 3c value, making each one worth at least 3.75 with the transfer bonus. I am not excited about free nights. With the Marriott card I could never find a hotel I wanted to stay in at such low categories. And I don't like it hanging over my head to have to use it within a year.

Fortunately the Blue Business Plus came along, so my husband and I transferred $100k yearly spend from SPG to there. It's even way better return on spend, although with fewer transfer partners. I guess AmEx doesn't care since they get the spend either way. We also have Chase Freedom Unlimited at 1.5x which is next best, but already have a ton of points there. I've been putting more on my 2.5% cash back card as well.