FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:37 am
david_oz

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ryman554
I must have asked this before, and I know the formal answer is "no".

Let's say I have two separate tickets, both on 016 stock:
CCC-BBB and BBB-AAA.

Has anybody has success SDC (without IRROPS!) from CCC-AAA?

Does the answer change if CCC is after the journey starts (ie, it is BBB-CCC-BBB/BBB-AAA)?

Does the answer change any more if the tickets are nested and: AAA-BBB-AAA and BBB-CCC-BBB and the SDC removes the non-connection connection point on the return journey? AAA-BBB/BBB-CCC-AAA?

Does the answer change even more if CCC (above) is in Japan (like,say, NRT) where rules like to be followed and AAA is an expensive place (like, say SFO) and BBB is not so much (like, say, LAX) for a set of tickets where end-on-end ticketing appears to be disallowed? =)

For those that have success.... how?
if you’re lucky enough that the UA app offers you a same day change to go NRT-SFO-LAX on the first ticket, you might be able to make it work. This would be a bit like hidden city ticketing, with the additional benefit that you can check a bag at NRT since SFO would be your first port of entry into the US. Of course, you run all of the other risks of hidden city ticketing, and definitely don’t expect a refund or any credit for the LAX-SFO flight, because that would send a very loud and clear signal that you missed your flight in the other direction intentionally.

Personally I wouldn’t do it, but if you are not a regular UA flyer and this is genuinely a one-off situation then it might work.