FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeroplan's Best Kept Secret: award flights into Iqaluit
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:21 pm
ericw

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
I've managed to visit all Canadian territories over the years in the winter on flight passes and AP awards.

Personally, my favourite is Whitehouse for a bit of everything: forests, lakes, mountains and various organized winter activities including aurora viewing. you can also cross the border to Alaska.

For northern lights, Yellowknife is the best option - I've been there 4 different weekends and saw the aurora 3 out of 4. They have purposely built Aurora Village (better) and Aurora World - mainly cater to bus loads of Japanese tourists but everyone can go. I'd recommend Explorer hotel (nicer) and Yellowknife Inn (conveniently connected a mall and probably the only night club in town - crowded with workers from nearby mines looking for some fun for the weekend...)

YFB is ok but i found the town a bit boring. Frobisher Inn is the best option in Iqaluit - also connected to the only movie theatre and pub in town. Nearby town Apex has a cemetery with whale bone statue - good for some shots at sunset or at night with aurora. If you want to get out of the town to the floe edge, you need to rent a snowmobile; i'd definitely get a guide for safety...

As someone mentioned, you can fly from Winnipeg to Churchill in Oct/Nov to see the polar bears before the bay freezes. you can still redeem calm air flights using AP.