FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:45 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Shoredreamer
Hi again, I was just wondering if having premier status, whether silver, gold etc gives you additional PQM when you fly or if the additional mi you accrue are just for the regular earning miles.

No additional PQMs, except that a Premier will get a 500 PQM minimum on short routes operated by some airlines, including UA.

My second question involves when booking a ticket/upgrade using miles, I understand a mileage ticket doesn’t earn miles but if you pay for a ticket then upgrade with miles, can you earn any miles at all ?
Yes.

and lastly, in the interest of maximizing my PQMs quickly, I’m just wondering if booking direct with United matters. Like if I’m booking the exact same itinerary, regardless of whether United or *A or both, would exact same itinerary booked on a 3rd party site, accrue the same mileage as booking direct with United would?
It depends upon why the price is different. In general, PQM are the same whether you purchase from United or from another airline. If you're seeing a different price because the underlying fare class is different, the earnings may be different too -- generally more of a problem in economy than in business, though. If it's a different price because the third-party airline is a consolidator, who buys tickets in bulk from United and then re-sells them, you'll want to read the rules carefully before purchase. Some (but not all) bulk tickets disallow earning miles. There's a thread regarding consolidators here: Purchasing UA tickets from consolidator agencies -- downsides, issues?

ETA: For brevity, I agree with what WineCountryUA wrote.