FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Diamond Status worth $450?
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:33 pm
DangerM55

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I have the Hilton Ascend and Amex Platinum cards, both of which give me Hilton Gold status. I spend $15,000 per year on Hilton Ascend (mostly in the restaurant, grocery and Hilton bonus categories) to get the free wekened night. All that said, I spend about 10-15 nights in Hiltons a year at most, with 2-5 nights booked via points.

The Points Guy claims Diamond status is worth $1,000 more than Gold.
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/what-...-status-worth/

Hilton sells Diamond status for $450 via the Aspire (this doesn't take into account resort credits, airline credits, free weekend night upon renwal, etc). Does it make sense to get the Aspire in my case? I'm not sure if I'm loyal enough to Hilton for it to make sense (I also stay 10-15 nights a year in Marriott, 10 in Hyatt, etc). I'm most interested in higher upgrade priority on paid and award stays with Hilton, as well as executive lounge access. I would only put Hilton spend on this card while keeping the Ascend for dining/grocery spend.
I've dropped to Gold now but when I was a Diamond I found upgrades completely non-existent in US properties. I had 'average' upgrades in UK properties but in SE Asia I had some spectacular upgrades to massive multi-room suites regularly when only paying for the lowest level room. I'd pay $450 for diamond again just for those SE Asia upgrades. My point being that value you get from it will vary depending on where your travel is...