FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lost Luggage - Customs Regulations
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2018, 10:11 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cwl
1. Initially handling agent stated they would not get luggage to my at my hotel in Rabat as I was too far (about 80km). When I challenged this the agent change to saying I had to collect at the airport for security reasons. Later she said due to customs reasons before reverting to security. Does anyone know if there are separate rules for Morocco which prevents courier transfer of luggage?

2. Is BA the responsible carrier being a BA ticket and BA flight numbers or is it Iberia being the last operator of the metal?

3. I know I can buy essentials and try to claim back, however if instead I use hotel express laundry on the single change of clothes in my cabin luggage can I claim that back or am I better buying limited new items. Laundry is chaeper but will BA see it that way?
1) It is the case that in some countries you are required to clear luggage in person even if it is a case of delayed handling. I don't know if Morocco is one of them, but the possibility is mentioned in BA.com's baggage pages (see here). In the UK this is handled by filling in a form accepting liability, so that you don't need to be present. Realistically - given the distance - it may be better to do this on the return to the airport for the return leg. Your other option is to ask the airline to send it back to your home address.

2) Iberia. Last leg operator is what counts here.

3) I don't know Iberia's policies, but for BA they strangely don't cover laundry but do cover purchase of new items. Personally I would buy new items since that is what the system knows and understands. The only thing to watch is that the liability per passenger is about £1200, and that has to cover both your immediate expense plus the potential expense if the bag is permanently lost. Given that a number of people were affected it seems unlikely to be a permanent loss.

You may need to contact your insurance company at this point to see what they can offer in this situation.