Old Aug 8, 18, 3:56 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rachel333 View Post
Surely, if the 'airfield restrictions were out of their control' as they claim, no one would be entitled? Just seems a bit strange to me that some have been approved, when, from the reason they've given me, they make it sound like none should have been.
Thank you for reporting back, I would hope BA would pay the train fare in full, if they were only going to contribute to some of it normally they would say so. It may be mixed in with other issues perhaps But the above reason doesn't surprise me, and is potentially valid. We know there was a backlog of services on Wednesday, some caused by the earlier ATC issue, and some caused by Amadeus Load Control. There were people sat on aircraft just waiting for Amadeus to cough up the data - and these passengers would be eligible for EC261. However if BA agreed to cancel flights in order to reduce the pressure on traffic then it's more complicated, since ATC may well have asked airlines to reduce their flights or risk long delays / diversions. BA is by far the largest operator at LHR.

So this is one of those cases where the underlying reason for EC261 not being paid is potentially valid, but you, as a passenger, may be able to argue that (e.g.) it was really a commercial decision to cancel the LHR-NCL night stop service. You're unlikely to get that via BA, you would have to escalate that via CEDR (and they may well back BA) or MCOL (depends how you argue it). Full details in the main EC261 thread in the Dashboard. What I would say is that in my experience BA are generally reluctant to cancel night stop services since they muck up crew rotas more than a back to back service.