FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:44 am
rachel333

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to post an update on the situation myself and my partner were discussing last week.

I heard from BA this morning. They have agreed to 'contribute' towards our expenses for the train tickets (I will be chasing this up, as there is a phone recording stating they will pay the costs in full).

We were indeed refused compensation, but NOT for the reasons people stated. The email states:

Your claim’s been refused because BA1321 on 19 July 2018 was cancelled because of airfield restrictions being in place that were outside of our control, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, I’m afraid we’re not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

I was wondering about people's thoughts on this? To be honest, we're only really bothered about getting our money back, so compensation is not a big deal. The only reason why I'm asking is because I know other people, including people who have posted on this thread, have been given compensation. Surely, if the 'airfield restrictions were out of their control' as they claim, no one would be entitled? Just seems a bit strange to me that some have been approved, when, from the reason they've given me, they make it sound like none should have been.

What do people think? Is this worth chasing up? Or should we just settle with the reimbursement? As I say, in truth all we were really bothered about is getting our money back, so we'd only look at chasing this up if it really does seem like we're being unfairly cheated out of compensation.

Thanks to everyone for all your advice!