FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The ultimate EK J class experience - you will not believe this :confused:
Old Aug 8, 2018, 3:28 am
SimpleDXB

Programs: EK Plat, OWE (BA), *A Gold (TK), EY Gold*
Don't blame the crews....

Originally Posted by Andreaswil
I doubted that as well and asked the purser. He said no, we are not short.
EK is desperately short of cabin crew and flights are now being deployed minus crew members in F, J and Y. They are trying to do more with less... but EK's version of this is cutting corners by reference to what is humanly possible. Something has to give.

For example - All F class flights are now being deployed with one less F class crew (i.e 2 now not 3 as before - a 33% reduction). This is easy to notice in a small cabin. There is also one less crew member in Y class on all flights. This is again noticeable (count them - and you will see crew now having to do multiple roles). Also, I recently flew on a 2-class A380 and I asked one of the crew where all the crew were - I was told that 2-class A380's now operated with less crew, including one less cabin supervisor....

They are having to fly more (much much much much much more than other airlines). They are exhausted and having to do more with fewer crew. EK is literally the only airline that deploys crew on ULH routes with barely 24-hour layovers. Cathay for example gives their crew a minimum of 3-days layover on ULR routes. EK gives 24-hours on ULR routes which works out less factoring in transfer times to/from aircraft and hotels. The notion crew do a 16-hour+ flight then have transportation time to/from airport to hotel etc means essentially their layover is less than 20hrs - it's nuts. Then they have to operate a 16-hour+ flight back to DXB. The permitted crew-rest mid-flight is also a fraction of that offered by other airlines. The crew are exhausted.

The simple fact is that crew are understaffed and under-rested (i.e. over tired). Ask them for yourself.

Frequently flights are departing with minimum crew (i.e. enough to cover the exit doors) and they are having to make do. Yet EK expect standards to be maintained when they don't have the required number of crew to do the job in hand - and don't allow their crew to be properly and adequately rested. Factor on top of this constant changes in service etc and on-board products (e.g. new booze / new menus etc) the crew cannot keep up. The customer-complaint culture at EK is also very different to that of other airlines meaning crew are operating under constant fear and threat of dismissal for being reported. Completely different to other (non ME3) carriers. Good luck trying to complain on Delta or BA for example - you'll be arrested.

The fact remains that the EK crews by-and-large do an amazing job (better than most crews) in very challenging and deteriorating conditions. And no, I am not EK cabin crew - I just fly a lot and observe what is happening.

Something has to give.....

Last edited by SimpleDXB; Aug 8, 2018 at 4:19 am