FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any experience with the Marlon Carry-on Luggage?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 12:23 pm
ANC RED-EYE
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by gregs
I was very intrigued by the marketing and the look and got the carry on.

TL/DR: How much you like the bag is up to you but it's a border-line scam when it comes to Return Policy and customer support.

I received the bag and decided that I wanted to return it. Compared to other bags with similar price point, it wasn't manufactured as well: small pockets, the touted compression doesn't lock in extended position. No big deal, not everyone has to like the product.

Problems with the Return

The problems started when I tried to return. The site touts super easy return everywhere on the site. Just send the email to team at marlontravel.co and it will be taken care of? Nope.
  • My two emails were ignored. No response either way. I did see one of them being opened (I am a MixMax user).
  • The phone number on the site on the Help page goes straight to voicemail, and no one returns those calls either.
Being thrown out of the Live Chat

I tried the Live Chat. I decided to first ask something about the product, as an interested buyer. I got a quick response. I then asked about assistance with the return. I was asked to email the same address that I tried earlier. When I said I had no response, they asked me if I bought through the Flash Sale. I was then informed that Flash Sale items are final and non-refundable.

See the carry-on product page, nowhere does it suggest that the product is non-refundable! The page continues to advertise no-hassle return.

When, I informed the live chat agent of that, I was literally disconnected from the chat.

Filtered Negative Reviews

Upon receipt of my luggage, I was asked to complete a review. I wrote a negative review of the product, since, well, by now I was dissatisfied with both the product and the rude (non-existent) customer service.

If you see the reviews, they're all glowing 4 & 5 star reviews. Not a single review with lower stars. Yup, mine got filtered out too.

Conclusion

Do you want to buy from a dishonest company that just wants to make a sale? Most of us don't. So don't waste your time.

Disclaimer-ish

No, I'm not hired by a competitor. I'm just a pissed off customer
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
Just got my bag, and unfortunately I am less than impressed; considering attempting a return. Here are my concerns so that they may help others who see this:

1) The top handle is rigid. Most airlines carry-on size restrictions are similar to this (taken from AS website): "22'' x 14'' x 9'' - these dimensions include the wheels and handles." The dimensions of this bag are 23.5 x 14 x 10. The 10" dimension is the front pocket, so if you never, ever fill it full, that will compress in and fit in the sizer; however the top handle to wheels dimension is too big - plain and simple. And what happens if you get called out on that? It's rigid - it doesn't compress, you can't remove it (I checked to see if it was put on with screws - it's not, it's put on with rivets, not that it would be particularly handy to remove that handle from a functional standpoint).

2) The expand/compress feature is pretty clunky. It is hard for me to get it to expand at all. When it is expanded, the mechanism doesn't expand it rigidly and I'm thinking that if you checked it in, the weird mechanism may well get broken. In the end, I think the age old simple zipper design likely would have been better.

3) The telescoping handle rails and battery pack protrusion take more space than I thought. This is likely a lesser concern to most, but I was led to believe that these were less significant - My previous carry-on (may it RIP - thank you, AS) had a flat bottom and it was far, far easier to pack. On the other hand, other than the protrusions on the bottom which I may be able to accept, the inside is virtually a square, which is my preference as opposed to the numerous tapered bags on the market. Lastly, it is worth noting that overall the interior space is cavernous due to the wheel design, again a positive so I may well be able to overcome this.

4) It's heavy. Looking at possibly flying Norwegian, one gets a 10kg total limit for carry-on + personal item. That's crazy talk, but you can't start out with an 7.2 pound suitcase if you only get 22lb total. And, unfortunately, I think that is sort of the reality we are heading for. This I cannot count as a surprise, that is clearly disclosed on the site - just pointing it out as an observation.
Just a follow up with some further information:

I took my bag to the airport. It decidedly doesn't fit in AS's sizer. It does fit in AA's and UA's - but that's because their design has an opening on each end, so the handle does protrude. Hard to say if a picky agent would call you on that. And hard to say if AS will ask me to put it in a sizer, but it's not a risk I want to have to take...
  • 7/19 I chatted with them, expressed my concerns. Was told that the handle was flexible and it did fit in all sizers. My handle is not flexible; not sure if there is variability or what. They asked me to email customer care; so I did, same day
  • 7/20 customer care responded stating that it does fit in the sizer of all US airlines, but I was welcome to return it and to respond if I needed return instructions
  • 7/20 - I responded requesting return instructions
  • 7/29 - I responded again, requesting return instructions
  • 8/7 - I tried to chat them, online chat doesn't seem to work today
  • 8/7 - I tried to call them; it went straight to google voice, I left a message asking them to call me
  • 8/7 - I responded, again, to their previous email, as well as filled out their online form - in both cases asking for return instructions.
Honestly, I like the bag overall. It's got the flaws as noted above, but mostly I would have positive things to say. However, the handle issue is really a deal breaker; it simply doesn't fit in the sizer of my primary airline, and I bought this to use as a carry-on bag; not a risk I should have to take. If that's something that's OK with you, go for it. But know that the lifetime warranty and returns are not likely to be easy to deal with.