FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dual passport Aus entry Q
View Single Post
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:14 am
jridge

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by dilby
I'm a dual citizen of the UK and Australia and currently live in the UK. Recently my Australian passport ran out and instead of paying the expense of renewing it I figured I could just travel on my British passport as a tourist. I phoned the Aus high commission to check this and they said i wouldnt be able to and would need to still renew my Aus passport. I reluctantly did this but it cost a lot (in fact I had to travel to london to get it sorted) but I met someone last week who said they let their aus passport expire and they regularly do what I had planned to do! Obviously I'm not annoyed that I may have been mislead to waste more time and money. Does anyone know if my friend I've met is simply getting away with it and the general protocol is that I should renew the aus passport, or have I been stitched up?
The "official" answer from https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/...hrough-travel:

As an Australian citizen you must always leave and enter Australia on an Australian passport. If you also have a passport from another country you can use that for travel once you have left Australia.People trying to enter Australia as an Australian citizen but without an Australian passport face difficulties and delays. The Australian Passport Office provides more information.If you also have a passport from another country you should always use your Australian passport when leaving and entering Australia.
Less officially, if you travel on a foreign passport and posing as a foreign citizen, airlines would subject you to the appropriate visa rules. Thus for a UK passport holder visiting Australia for a short period, you're probably going to get away with it. For a passport holder of a country that requires a visa to enter Australia, or for travel on a one-way ticket, etc. then the airline potentially will say you do not have the correct documents and refuse travel.