FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Requirement to Send in Old Passport to Renew Unnecessary and an PITA
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:44 pm
Randyk47

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by chollie
I get a bit tired of the paranoia, partly because it is a waste of resources better spent tackling genuine threats - including the government's own inefficiencies.

I dislike it every time I have to surrender my old passport because I don't trust the the Post Office. I've had a new passport go missing in the mail and been left hanging out to dry until I could replace the new, never received passport.

I keep my old passport for memories. It never leaves home. The only way it is going to fall into nefarious hands is if someone breaks into my home, does an absolutely exhaustive paper search while the alarm system is blaring and dialing the police, and finds it stashed away with other memories.

I suspect most folks who want to keep their old passport(s) do the same.
Agree totally. I have every passport I’ve ever been issued and actually one with my mother and sister before they started issuing children passports. Haven’t counted them but at least five maybe six. Covers my family’s foreign travel to and from by sea England and the travel around Europe ages before the EU, then to be from Morocco by air, then my time with the Army in Germany, and finally my wife’s and my travels all over the world. Great memories and not to be lost.