FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Europa & Regina, Venice, Italy, CLOSED for renovation Aug '18[Master Thread]
Old Aug 6, 2018, 9:40 am
saaveraward

As the property is closing shortly, I won't post a comprehensive review. Obviously, any upgrade to a canal room makes the property worthwhile. Even if they are stitching and patching holes in sheets and the 2 singles pushed together slide all over during the night so you can have a nice canyon between mattresses and nearly fall through. One front desk agent was spectacular. The other clearly shouldn't be in hospitality.

However I would like to focus on the concierge staff which mainly is terribly inconvenienced from phone surfing when you approach it. So I had a brief conversation with one telling them I returned to Venice this time specifically for food and had taken several months researching spots, talking to people in the industry, reading reviews, etc. The problem was, I was walking 20-30 minutes all over the place in 41 degree heat index to find many of these places closed on summer break. Obviously not the hotel's fault. Met stone-faced, clearly the concierge was not impressed nor cared in the slightest the motivation for my trip. I had brought down some of my maps and simply asked he call (three places total, not 20 mind you), just to see if they're open. He ignored this request and just went to Google to see operation hours which of course will not tell you who is on holiday. Pulling teeth, I insisted he pick up the phone and call. By the way, there are three concierge at the desk and no guests around. I got him to make one call before he gave up on the rest.

So he recommended a local spot which he said was newish. I went and it was complete shite. This was pre-made fried food and then warmed in the microwave. Yes, I know most places are pre-fried, but the good ones use a warming oven so not to dry out the food. The risotto was pre-made. Half the stuff on the menu board was out. Basically young chefs who don't care about the details.

With a limited time in Venice and something so important to me, I was incredibly disappointed.

I went back that night and told a different concierge I would not recommend it to guests and for him to inform his colleague. The next day I saw both of them at the desk. Of course the night one didn't inform his colleague so I told the story to the one who recommended it. And I got unbelievable pushback and we got in to a full heated discussion over the place. So I asked, have you actually eaten there? He said "once. and I just got the risotto." As the conversation went on, all of a sudden he ate there "many times" buy still only had the risotto. Of all the places in Venice, and especially since I wanted chiceetti and said so (this place doesn't have that, it's like a Whole Foods meal counter), and I told you how important this was to me, why would you recommend it?

Anyway, I fell in love all over again with the view and location, but not the hotel this time around. They are going to have to up their game as a St. Regis.