FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury Hotel in Tokyo & Kyoto with 2 kids
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:47 am
livefromtuscany
formerly vienna-resident

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Rates in Kyoto can be very high during peak demand periods, which is driven by both domestic and international travelers (mostly from within Asia) for whom Kyoto is very popular. Personally, I plan around those periods and stay at the high end properties when I can get them at a reasonable rate. I have been to Kyoto many times and could never justify $1,500/night for stanard accommodation there. But, if this is a once in a lifetime trip, or if money is no object and your travel dates are inflexible, it could be worth it for you.

I’d sooner stay at the Hyatt and spend the leftover $1,200++ on dinner at Kitcho.
I knew going in that Kyoto is popular and rates would be high, but I - naively so - expected mid-November in Japan to be off-peak period. The FS is in the same price range as the RC. the Hyatt is fully booked and the other options don't look appealing. I do have flexible dates, but even +/- 10 days the rates are the same, even mid-week or Sun-Wed. Seeing that the OP mentions similar rates for March, I wonder when it's non-peak period?