FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Recommended Hotel for over night stays at SFO & LAX
Old Aug 6, 2018, 3:25 am
konaflyer

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by tom911
Is this a weekend or stay around a holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas)? That's about the only time you might see rates at or below $100 at SFO (I have a weekend booking at the Hilton SFO for $89 in mid-December). I've stayed at both the Hilton and Hyatt hotels south of SFO and they're both fine. There's a bunch of IHG properties both north and south of the airport. All of these should have shuttles, though they may be on-call or on a restricted schedule after midnight.

Is the Marriott free night cert category restricted? Have you looked at the new chart for August 18 to what properties might honor it? The Marriott SFO uses the same shuttle as the Hyatt.
We are staying in the SFO area on 11/19 (the Monday before Thanksgiving) and 12/2 (which is a Monday also). I saw some rates around $100 which surprised me, but then I began to wonder if those hotels were sub-par. After your comments, I booked the Hilton SF Airport in Burlingame for $92 + tax at least tentatively. I had tried to book the AC Hotel SFO using the Marriott free night certificate thinking I could use it at any 35,000 point hotel. But that's for certificates issued after 8/18, I guess. The CS said I had to use it at a cat 5 or less and it doesn't look like there are any at SFO. Bummers.

I did book the Hyatt Regency SFO for the Dec. stay, using my free night. I wanted to upgrade using a club floor cert (because my husband & I have 8 between us), but the CS said they can't be used on a free cert. night only a cash or points stay.

How do you think Hilton and HR compare?