FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Waitlist for Award Seats Questions/Issues [ARCHIVE]
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:42 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mysorepack
This is very good insight, which would have been useful to know when I called. She cleared the R request first, at which point IN2 decreased to IN1. So she started to clear one of IN requests, after splitting out the booking. By the time she finished splitting the booking, fortunately IN1 went back to IN2 and she was able to clear two.
Sorry, I probably should have suggested that. I hesitated because UA can re-calculate its inventory at any time, so if you had called to clear the waitlisted passengers into IN, it's possible that R would have gone from R3 to R0 even though only two seats had been claimed.

Originally Posted by mysorepack
Final update - just did the online check-in for the 4th family member, and was offered the $829 upgrade offer, which I took. I assume I'll get the 30K miles back at some point?
You'll get the additional miles back after the flight. It should happen automatically, but if it doesn't, file for a refund on the website. (Don't do it until travel is complete -- that way, you minimize the chances of someone fat-fingering the refund and leaving you without a ticket).

Enjoy your trip. :-)