FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Zihuatanejo/ Ixtapa- Worth the visit & where to stay?
Old Aug 4, 2018, 9:57 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by konaflyer
We are thinking about visiting in November. Do you prefer Zihuatenajo or Ixtapa for a 5 day to one week stay? Which hotel? We prefer cat. 4 or 5 hotels. Are there any beaches with calm water? Are there safety concerns re: staying here.? I heard that the State Dept raised this location to a 4.
IMO, Ixtapa has gone downhill a lot. My family has had a condo there for thirty years, and they tell me it’s much more crowded, the beaches have deteriorated and are crowded and filthy - and perhaps less safe.

OTOH, Zihuatanejo seems to have held onto some of its exclusivity and intimacy in spots. For years, the romantic place to stay is La Casa Que Canta. I’ve had friends who stayed and really love it. Another I’ve heard good things about is Tentaciones Hotel.

November is generally shoulder season (except for Thanksgiving), and typically the annual price increases occur ~15 December. November should have really good weather.