FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aegean Airlines (A3) award booking experiences using United miles
Old Aug 4, 2018, 11:28 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by doug_999
It is my understanding that *G gets you one extra bag over what the current fare class offers (learned this all thanks to @jsloan) - so if you were economy, you would have received one or two bags at 23kg.
https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-info...age-allowance/
:blush: Thanks for the shout-out.

It's actually a little bit more nuanced than that, unfortunately. Here's the specific language from the Star Alliance site:

Extra Baggage Allowance

You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines, "tap discount" fares offered by TAP and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
There's enough wiggle room there to drive a truck through.

In this case, Aegean is following the model pioneered by Silk Air (happily, soon to be discontinued), Thai Smile, Eurowings, etc. -- they're operating a separate airline, outside of Star Alliance, and then sticking their code on the flights. Flights operated by those airlines, even if they're visually indistinguishable from the Star Alliance airline flight, are considered outside of Star Alliance and *G benefits don't apply.

However, this particular case has a somewhat happy ending; Olympic Air was recently added as a Star Alliance Connecting Partner. (That's what the line regarding "connecting flights" is about). If you fly a nonstop OA route, you won't get *G benefits. If you connect from OA to another *A airline, including A3, you should. Here's a link to a forum thread about this topic: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-partner.html

Unfortunately, saccoNY, because you were on separate tickets, OA wasn't contractually obligated to provide *G benefits. I've never flown OA, and I can't comment on how likely it is that a different agent might have seen the situation differently and waived the fee, but I doubt you'll have much success complaining about it, sadly.