FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The 2018 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004
Old Aug 3, 2018, 11:01 pm
wobbly wings

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it's a pure delay, so the aircraft did eventually run then you need to actually travel on the service, and thereby be delayed, to get the article 7 compensation. If it was (eventually) cancelled then you can claim compenstion. Now if you can prove you actually were personally delayed 3 hours I think you still have a case, particularly in line with the cancellation equivalence, however the underlying legal cases for delay compensation all relate to passengers who actually travelled. The Regulation doesn't provide any compensation for delays, that has come about via jurdicial oversight, hence the difficulty.
Thanks for this. What do you mean by being personally delayed? If you mean the time wasted by going to the airport and back I can probably prove that. If you mean delayed at destination I decided not to take the flight (which did operate but several hours later) as the planned meeting couldn't take place anymore.