FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:06 pm
Irishgal

Originally Posted by tth6133
No, that's not a "fair" way for some certificate holders. For example, if you had bought a cat-9 certificate or one of certificates for RCs, you'd expect you could use it for one of top hotels post 8/18. If your certificate now becomes a new cat-4 certificate, and even if you're allowed to upgrade to some higher new category, the cost of the upgrade would be significantly higher based on the new chart than the amount of refund you could have received.
Exactly. This is NOT a fair resolution. I purchased a Cat 8 and have it attached to a reservation, but there's a chance I may not be able to keep those dates. However, if I unlinked it and Marriott downgraded it to a Cat 4, regardless of whether or not they refund me points...I'd be pissed. I have ZERO use for a Cat 4 certificate, and had I been informed of that in advance of purchasing it (which we have not been), I would not have purchased it. That does not make me whole. It leaves me with wasted points and a certificate I can't use.

The ability to upgrade it back would not make me whole either because the difference in levels from the old chart to new is MASSIVE. Currently it costs 30,000 points to jump from one category to the next. However, after August 18th, it will cost 60,000 to jump from Cat 4 to Cat 5, and 120,000 to jump from Cat 5 to Cat 6 (because certs are priced at peak timing). So that upgrade you're saying will make us whole will cost 150,000 instead of the 90,000 it currently costs.. It would be worse for those with Cat 9's and RC certs. So for many this "solution" would be a devaluation.

That said, I HIGHLY doubt that they'll do this is because a) there's been no notice, and Marriott seems to give at least one month notice on mass devaluations, and b) they'd basically be alienating some of their most loyal and frequent business travelers who prefer to stay at high-end properties when on vacation (and who likely would spend a lot at those properties once there). That's not a wise move. If the comments online are to be believed, Marriott is already are losing some of the more loyal SPG business travelers to other hotel chains.