FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Death of pax before flight on non-refundable tix?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:34 pm
jetsfan92588

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I agree, its a shame. However the issue likely is Delta not training their agents on this exception. Sadly DL does more and more to get new hires on the phone and using the system quickly after hire. Unfortunately this results in agents not learning everything the ought to be taught. A complaint is warranted, but temper the anger towards the agent she talked with.
The agent should have at least had some common sense to think, "hang on, I know it's nonrefundable, but in this instance I should at least check the rules because I can't imagine Delta actually wouldn't refund a passenger when this happens."

That specifically, on top of the fact that you shouldn't answer questions you don't know the answer to, without at least attempting to look it up or find an answer.

This isn't a problem of an agent not knowing all the rules. It's a problem of the agent lacking common sense and an understanding of what you do if you don't know the answer to someone's question.