FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Amtrak Guest Rewards MasterCard arriving Fall 2015
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:13 am
tele02

BoA - does having a checking/savings with them help with approval?

For the Amtrak credit card, I spoke to BoA reconsideration now two times at (800) 354 0401. Both times, was not approved.

The reasons stated are 1) "Your credit references have not been established for a sufficient length of time" (only in US for 3 years, starting in Jan 2016 with two secured cards, before in March 2017 I applied for Chase, Amex etc, according to BoA reconsideration they cannot take into account the Capital One secured one from 2016, or the local credit union credit card from 2016, so my credit history is too short according to them)

2) "There are too many inquiries on your credit file" (5 in 2017, 4 in 2018 - I like to travel, so co-branded credit cards are great ;-) )

3) "Limited deposit and/or investment balances with us and/or our affiliates" (I am not a BoA customer, I do not have checking or savings with them, and no BoA card)

It seems like also the 100% on-time payment performance or 736 score did not help with BoA approving me now. I hope maybe this data point helps someone else who might be in a similar situation.

About 2), what is the amount of inquiries on the credit file that BoA does not consider "too many"?

About 3), does anyone know if there is an actual increase in likeliness that BoA would approve f.e. in a year if I opened up a checking or savings with them?

Thank you for anyone who has info about how to get an approval for the Amtrak World Mastercard...