FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 787-9 - is it Business First or Polaris First?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 1:23 pm
alf0906

Originally Posted by jsloan
I think the page, as written, is borderline incomprehensible. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

I think you're reading way too much into "forward facing." The seats in the 787-9 are forward facing for any reasonable definition of the words. The intent is to prevent the seats from being used in an environment where the seat provides no protection in the case of a sudden deceleration.

I believe the prohibition against using the seats in Polaris First is due to the shoulder harness -- which makes me a little surprised that they're not prohibited in the 77W and new retrofits, to be honest.
On your first point, I agree that the page is borderline incomprehensible, but I don't know what other conclusion there is given that the 788 and 789 are both two cabin planes.

On your second point, I would disagree about "any reasonable definition." Federal regulations often provide a definition that is contrary to "any reasonable definition." :-) Someone took the time to look it up, seat must not be angled more than 18*.

You may be right that the shoulder harness is an issue as well.