FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences 2018
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:15 pm
VaBeachGirl

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
IC Willard Washington

IC Willard Washington
Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Sort of. I used to stay at this hotel quite often, around 8 or 9 times a year and had been consistently getting amazing upgrades (to Oval or Executive Suites). But I haven't stayed here since Sept 2017 because since the IC Washington DC - The Wharf it opened in Oct 2017, I have been able to get a government rate there for my last 8 trips to DC (this is the first time since last September I was able to get a govt rate at the Willard)

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked King Superior, received King Willard.

How are the rooms?
This particular King Willard was a disappointment. Although the rooms have recently been renovated and the renovations look great, this is probably the smallest King Willard I have ever had. It was on the 2nd floor (room 200) and had only one window so no view of anything (I could sort of see the outdoor tables at Cafe Parc). I think the other King Willards (rooms X00) are more like corner rooms with 2 windows, if I recall correctly. There was a couch but no coffee table.

How is the exec. lounge?
There isn't one

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Bottle of red wine and a Willard tin with chocolate chip cookies in it. I have only received the tin once before and it was empty that time. 2 bottles of water were replaced daily and there was a large fruit selection.

How was the minibar?
Still a good minibar. 375 ml bottles of red and white wine and champagne. Small selection of liquor and some beers. Sparkling water still has not returned to the minibar. Also, I was at the hotel for 3 nights and the minibar was not refilled once. The bottle of white wine had a cork in it, but there wasn't a cork screw anywhere in the room.

What was good and what was bad?

-Good:
-- The location is great, right near the White House
-- The property is just beautiful and has a lot of history
​​​​-- Water is replaced everyday and the fruit selection was good.

-Bad
-- King Willard upgrade was disappointing based on the upgrades I had received in the past. I know that this upgrade category for RA is supposedly standard though, but this room in particular wasn't that great.
-- Emailed the hotel prior to arrival to let them know arrival time and never heard back from them
-- The staff is not as friendly as they used to be. When I checked out on the last morning, I had to remind that desk clerk that I was RA. She looked at me blankly until I mentioned the minibar charges should be removed

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Yes

Would you return?
I would because I really used to love this hotel. But with the IC Washington DC - The Wharf as an option now, it makes the decision tougher if both properties are available at a Govt Rate.