FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EU261
Thread: EU261
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:09 am
flyphilrun

Programs: Mucci, FB Gold, Skywards, MK Kestrel Flyer, BA Gold, M&M FF, UU Capricorne, ACCOR Gold
EU261

Hello,
I don't have a great deal of experience with Lufthansa and need advice.

I was booked from Marseille to Frankfurt and on to Johannesburg on 26th June. I had a 1h30 transfer window in Frankfurt. My flight from Marseille to Frankfurt was delayed once then again and ended up leaving Marseille 1h30 late. At no point was any reason for the delay given other than "late arrival of the incoming aircraft". Obviously I missed my connection and was rebooked on the next day's flight to Johannesburg resulting in 24 hours delay in arrival (I missed most of a wedding I was supposed to be attending but that is beside the point). I was given a hotel in Frankfurt and a meal voucher.

I wrote to LH customer service with an EU261 claim. Heard nothing apart from confirmation of sent email. Wrote again. Heard nothing again. Finally, yesterday, one month after the facts, I received an email telling me this :

It is with regret to hear that you were affected by a delay on your trip to Frankfurt on June 26, 2018. Please accept our sincerest apologies for these unfortunate occurrences and for any inconvenience caused as a result of this matter.

The reason for the delay of your flight was due to restrictions by Air Traffic Control authorities which entailed further instructions by the airport. We are fully aware that our passengers decide to fly with us because Lufthansa is known for punctuality and reliability, and we do everything in our power to meet this expectation.

However sometimes we are unable to get you to your destination on time due to circumstances beyond our control. As an airline we have no influence over the directives and instructions of the airport and aviation security authorities, and must abide by these without exception.

In light of the aforementioned and in accordance with the EC Regulation 261/2004, we cannot comply with your request for compensation.

My question is obviously is this a valid excuse on the part of LH or are they just trying a delaying tactic? Is it worth pressing further, or should I just give up?
Any advice would be welcome...