FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Inflight assault, man allowed to leave airport - Delta messed up
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:28 pm
gooselee
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
If there is no proof of the assault then I'm not sure what Delta is supposed to do about it. The passenger needs to go to the police and file a report. If the police department needs more information about the suspected passenger then they can ask Delta to provide the passenger details.

I could claim the person sitting next me poured something into my drink. Should that person be detained if no one else saw it happen?
Again, you are asking for exactly what you previously said you do not want. You actually want DL to be responsible for gathering enough evidence to "prove" the assault before they take the action of informing law enforcement, who is actually trained and responsible for doing such an investigation? Your suggestion makes DL judge and jury.

And the answer to your question is yes. You didn't answer my question to you about whether the guy with your laptop should be allowed to just wander off the plane. By the time you file your own police report and authorities catch up to him, that laptop is long gone and there is no longer any evidence that he stole it. I guess you're okay with that. That, or you want FAs to be empowered to search everyone's luggage for stolen items, and to run a forensic medical exam on someone who claims to have been assaulted in flight. After all, they can't do anything until they have "proof", right?

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Well ok, I do think we should have laws that punish those who make false claims though. Similarly Delta should also put that person on the no-fly list. Unfortunately there are people who will do something like that for petty vengeance.
We do. And victims of false claims can also pursue civil claims against their accusers.