FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:27 pm
milemission

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sinfonia
I would appreciate some feedback on my method. I would like to redeem the seven nights at a Marriott property that is currently category 6. According to the chart at https://points-redemption.marriott.com/category-change, it will become a category 4. I was going to purchase a category 1-5 certificate since that should cover a new 4, I believe. But the problem is that if I need to attach it now, I need to purchase a category 6 package, correct? I know there are still unknowns but is conventional wisdom that I would receive 30K back after the merger? Or do I just lose any difference? I am not clear how to best do this.

Thanks!
Several members including me are in the same dilemma.
There seems to be a couple options here:

-redeem for a cat 1-5 TP, get a floating cert and attach it after the hotel changes to cat 4(25,000)
-redeem for cat 6, book the hotel and call back for a refund of MR points(30,000)

Which one will you choose? Does anyone know when will the new rate start? I appreciate any feedback form you all, thank you!