FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Jul 26, 2018, 3:13 pm
ahbitheman

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
I no longer live or work in the US so all those lucrative credit card offers are hard to now get.

In terms of "clicking a button", I don't think it should affect me? I'll already do the MR - SPG - SPG Spouse - MR transfer before August 18th (assuming I can then cancel the award booking that I'll be forced to book to transfer + 50K MR points and then book my desired SPG property with MR points post August 18th). If I didn't do this before August 18th, then yes I should avoid pressing the button. I think those that should primarily avoid combining are folks 2 years away from 10 years elite that somehow will make both MR and SPG elite this year (that's a lot of nights/stays)

Originally Posted by pinniped
1 new Amex + 1 new Visa should do the trick. Or maybe one credit card plus a few hotel stays plus a small purchase of points towards the end of the year. (If you're over Chase's 5/24 rule, for example.)

It sounds like there will be a process by which we manually click a button to combine our accounts post-August-18. If you are trying to qualify on points, I believe it's in your interest to *not* click that button until you are (new) Lifetime Plat.