FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Visiting Colleges & Unis Around PHL/EWR/JFK
Old Jul 26, 2018, 9:16 am
zippy the pinhead

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
[...] IMO Princeton and Penn are somewhat strange choices for a student who knows that he/she wants engineering as I think of these schools as "boutique" engineering programs, although they're strong in a few specific areas (as is Columbia for O.R./I.E.). What about Carnegie Mellon? [...]
I was pretty clueless when I was around this age; like many his age (16 going on 17), a significant factor in his university-choosing thought process is various bits of information that filters back from friends and friends-of-friends. Part of the purpose of the trip is helping to align that process with reality a little bit more, but gently and discretely.

He is on the fence between physics and engineering, so I am content to let the process play out, and at this point I think the main purpose of visiting various campuses is to collect some concrete examples of what he likes and dislikes, in addition to information, contacts, and so forth.

But the responses in this thread have been very helpful, and really appreciated. Planning continues...