FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Iberia Plus offer 9000 per booking, 21 to 24 June 2018 on iberia.com
Old Jul 24, 2018, 2:03 am
Scandinavian traveler

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The Iberia agent was nearly correct, there are several million people on this planet with just one name! So yes, for most people, first and last name is sufficient, and this "matching passport name" is constrained by the number of spaces that Amadeus (and other systems) have available. Plus the fact that the majority of people do not have their names sourced in the Latin alphabet, these are transliterations. First name and lfamily name works for Russia, it works for China, it works for the USA, it even works for Ryanair. For Iberia you have to be careful in this area due to the presence of matronymics in Spanish and related cultures, which can end up with unexpected consequences since that it may mean family names are not present on the booking.
Thank you.

BA have, however, confirmed that when traveling to the US the name will need to match because of the ESTA. My booking is with Iberia MAD-SFO, so I guess I'll need to send them an email to confirm in writing that there should be no issue with that.

BA said that my name needed to match the ESTA or visa when traveling TO a country. Is there a similar requirement for the inbound flight, i.e. can I just use my first + last name FROM the US to London?

Sorry for the slight OT.

To get back on track: My other half have not heard anything from Iberia still, except for the email requesting ID + tickets, which have been sent 2 weeks ago. Anybody else in the same situation? No inconcistencies, no duplicate accounts. There should be no issues, but they have not replied.